Resources for Treating Tinnitus
According to the Australian Tinnitus Association, nearly 1 in 5 Australians have experienced the ringing, buzzing or whistling, swooshing sensation in their ears otherwise known as tinnitus. 90% of people with tinnitus also have hearing loss. As many clinicians know the impact tinnitus varies greatly from person to person but the condition often severely affects
Tinnitus Treatment Resources for Patients
Patients with tinnitus differ but they are all looking for relief. Many patients will have done some research by the time they reach the clinic and some may be very well-informed. Providing additional resources may help these patients respond more positively to the treatment plans you propose. The newly released Relax Tinnitus Relief App (Apple Store/Google Play) is a free resource and self-management tool for patients, also intended for incorporation into a hearing professional’s sound therapy protocol for those diagnosed with tinnitus.
Personalised Treatment Plans
Information obtained through case history, questionnaire, and audiometric evaluation provide a detailed picture of the impact tinnitus is having on
Tinnitus Organizations or Related Groups
Recommended Books, Articles, and Websites for the Professional
Textbooks for Treating Tinnitus:
- Tinnitus: Theory and Management. Snow, J.B. (2004) Hamilton, Ontario: BC Decker.
- The Psychological Management of Chronic Tinnitus: A Cognitive-Behavioral Approach Henry, J.L. & Wilson, P.H. (2001). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Tinnitus Treatment: Clinical Protocols. Tyler, R.S. (2006). New York, NY: Thieme Medical Publishers Inc.
Articles About Tinnitus and Treatment:
- Clinical Practice Guideline: Tinnitus. Tunkel, D.E., Bauer, C.A., Sun, G.H., Rosenfeld, R.M., Chandrasekhar, S.S., Cunningham, E.R., Whamond, E.J. (2014). Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 151(2S), S1-S140
- The Role of the Audiologic Evaluation in Progressive Tinnitus Management. Henry, J.A., Zaugg, T.L., Myers, P.J., Kendall, C.J., Schechter, M.A. (2008). Trends in Amplification, 12 (3), 170-87.
- A Triage Guide for Tinnitus. Henry, J.A., Zaugg, T.L., Myers, P.J., Kendall, C.J., Michaelides, E.M. (2010). J Fam Practice, 59(7), 389-393.
If you have any other useful resources to add to the list we would love to hear from you.